Saturday, April 16, 2011

How should it be?




My life is out of order this week. I struggle with “shoulds” and other people’s behavior. Does the apostrophe come after the e or the s in the prior sentence? I should write that correctly. My wife and I are being laid off from our jobs later this year. I should be happy to have a job, right? (I am.) A religious “outfit” is taking over our clinics. Cynicism on my part? Yes. Judgemental? For sure.


My wife works at the Mental Health Clinic. The clinic I work at is part of that system. The local government has decided to close both clinics to save money “in these difficult times.”  I guess it’s okay to fund mental health and addiction services when times are not so tough. The mentally ill and addicted may have different opinions about that. My opinion on that at this point, you ask? I am not really sure. Even those people’s behavior is starting to make me wonder. Shouldn’t they be doing something to help themselves, I find myself asking. Shouldn’t they stop having child after child to abuse and misuse? Shouldn’t they stop smoking cigarettes when they can’t afford food? Shouldn’t they stop working under the table and collecting social “entitlements” at the same time?  It IS fraud after all. Am I just angry that many make more money than I while doing this? I must admit that I don’t like that. I am not liking self absorbed people today. To be rational is to understand their motives. That understanding is closer to the surface of my mind at different times, now doesn’t seem to be one of them. 


I read a blog, written by a friend’s friend, about how he and his wife help people in Honduras. These people have nothing. They do have respect however. The women are considered little more than property and start having children when they are children, not by choice. He and his wife help build homes for them, give them medical care and show them positive regard.  
Check it out: http://stevestitanicswimteam.blogspot.com/2011/04/honduras-update-week-at-base-and-home.html

In the face of that, I listen to overindulged Americans complain and complain some more about what they don’t have and how horrible their lives are. I do the same thing. I don’t like that.



I spend time trying to understand, anticipate and deal with others’ behavior. Why? What I have concluded is this: I am not a solitary mindful person. I can be a mindful man but I am part of a greater whole. I am part of the big picture. I behave in ways that irk the hell out of others. I behave in ways that comfort and please others. I do the very thing that I am complaining about in them. I also do the very thing that I seek from others. We are all in this together and we would all be much better off with greater reflection and understanding of the human condition. I will continue to work at that because I choose to. How SHOULD things be? Just as they are for there is no other way at this moment. 
 

8 comments:

  1. in this moment there is no other way..but here comes the next moment...him...what SHOULD I do????
    As always...XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this last night and took pause to think about it before I commented. There is A LOT in this post. I see and feel the uncertainty of your professional future in a palpable way, and you trying to reconcile "being at peace" with it by comparing it with the people where "Z" is, and people where we live are in comparison too.

    While I might be tempted to break it all down, I see the short strokes of this post being about your own personal growth and filtering process. An "Enlightenment" phase if you will where you are self examining. A new normal that cropped up that has made you examine and re-examine just where exactly you are on this path called life as you look at others choices as well. It is an uncomfortable place to be sure, it always is, but I also get excited about this kind of phase as well.

    To draw on a metaphor of the wooly-worm becoming a butterfly...phases like this are like being in a cocoon of change, and when I am there as uncomfortable as being in the cocoon is I get excited about what color my wings might be when I bust out! LOL

    While I never take for-granted that I am correct in what I see in someone's writing, that is what I think I see in yours now and have several times (Why can't I be Gandhi, Judgementalism). The questions you are asking of yourself are indeed a beautiful journey, one I hope you are taking in joy. The uncomfortable things you see in other people and places right now I believe are a lack of self-examination, a disconnect of both logic and motive. We complain about how life is without examining our personal actions that make life what it is for us. There is a disconnect between "I cannot afford food and someone needs to solve this for me" and "I use whatever money I have to buy drugs." The answers are found in the miles between those thoughts, and the disconnect comes when we don't examine the path we haven't made between them. But you are forging your path between thoughts you cannot reconcile.

    Anyway, I'm rambling...LOL...The bottom line is I'm really proud of these questions in you, the journey you are taking. I think you'll discover "what's next" for you as you answer the questions you ask of yourself and others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tend to be hypocrites most of the time. we preach but do not practice what we preach. It takes a lot of courage to question yourself and that is what this post is all about. Very inspiring.Live in the now, surrender to what is, do not judge....If only we could all live by these the world would be a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bongo,
    The next moment, if you we have one, will be the way it is. It will be a culmination of all the moments before, all the moments to come and what we do with those to arrive at the moment we are in. My goal is to live in the moment only, it's all we have. To worry about the future has no purpose. I am not sure what you meant by your comment but I wish only the present for you. Love you, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,
    You can ramble at me anytime. You have no idea how much better I felt about everything in my life after reading your comment. Would you be interested in being a life coach? I'd pay. (She thinks I am kidding.) When you said you were tempted to break it down, I thought to myself that I wish you had. I sure hope this is a process of self reflection that leads to a me that I feel better about being. LY, Tim RN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rimly,
    I do believe there is a lot of hypocrisy. I think it may be a very American cultural thing as well. We aren't taught to be honest. We are taught to compete and that success is measured by how much money we make. To do well, in that context, it doesn't serve us well to be honest. It pisses people off, the truth. I was talking to a friend last night about this very thing. She said she is not honest with how she really feels often because it's "not worth it". She was referring to the reaction she gets when she's honest, a lot of the time. I am so impassioned about being direct and honest. There is no trust without it. Thanks so much for your comment and I so agree with the three things you said as means to a better way. My best, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is easy for some to judge others without fully recognizing the situation the other may be in. Each person needs to worry about themselves and their families, help others when needed, pray for all, and most of all...enjoy the life that God has given us, whatever it may be. One man's garbage is another man's dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. By taking a look within first before looking outside is most important for growth and understanding the journey within or that of others. Until you (one) has walked in another person's shoes one cannot judge or criticize.it is upon self examining do we begin to understand those around us... we all are different hence we are all at different stages in life as well.
    Thought provoking post

    ReplyDelete