Sunday, November 21, 2010

Rational Emotional Behavior Therapy and Mr REBT



At work my co-workers and clients call me Mr REBT.  I teach it and try to employ it in my own life. It is a form of therapy that teaches that it is not what happens to you that causes you to feel and act the way you do. It is how you view what happened or is happening or will happen. When a woman has an abortion, a pro choice and a pro life person react differently. It's not because a woman had an abortion. Their reactions are based on what they believe about abortion, not the abortion itself. (This post is NOT ABOUT ABORTION.) REBT is a form of cognitive behavioral therapy. REBT is very being in the present oriented. The past is over and the future doesn't exist.
REBT implies that if you think rationally you will be happier and your life will be better. Rational means based in reality. If you can say what you are thinking makes your life better, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS, then it is rational. I challenge anyone to come up with something rational that does not make your life better. REBT teaches unconditional self acceptance and unconditional other acceptance.
If you are interested in REBT, let's discuss it. It works. It has been studied like hell and is a best practice model in addiction and mental health treatment. The true test is, they use it in Business. Imagine?!

3 comments:

  1. I used REBT when I worked with people having mental health problems on the job. (I trained people to do jobs that were either born with or aquired a disablity mental/physical/emotional.) I can say it does work well, with consistancy and repetition. I actually started using it before I realized "it" was a therapy. My husband, now passed as you might assume from my title, actually pointed it out to me when I was going over my reports. Love the REBT therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo Widow Lady, another rational person! Do you have a first name or do you want to be referred to by your screen name? They use REBT is business a lot. It is a best practice model in mental health and addiction treatment. It works. I use it every day myself.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim, I introduced my real name in my last comment. I forget to when I get excited about what I am reading. I use it on myself as well, I have had depression issues for as long as I can remember, and I am not very tolerant of the depression medications I have tried. So, rather than the meds (though please don't hear me wrong, if I had suicidal ideations I would reach out) I have been working at "breaking the tape" in that plays in my mind when I have an episode of depression.

    The people I worked with had a myriad of mental illnesses, depression, paranoia, you know the gambit, but they were deemed stable enough to try to enter into employment on some level or another, but required some coaching and support to do so. I loved the work really, and had a high success rate I think I can credit the REBT techniques to. Bravo to you, for this lovely blog!

    I'm sure you aren't at a want for topics, but since I believe you to love good discussion, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Psychiatric medicines in general, medicating children for ADD, depression medications ect...not for severe cases as much a borderline cases, and people who depend on the meds rather than working on the root of the issues causing the problems in their life. Do you think meds that were meant to be a crutch, have become a wheelchair so to speak. Frankly, I wonder if we are too quick to medicate, especially children. I wonder if sometimes we are "Medicating Mozart" so to speak, meaning that we have become so impatient to have everything be "normal" that we might be stunting something that could be. Please don't hear that I am anti-meds. I'm not really, but it is a good discussion point I think. I know in my own personal experience, I paint, and write creatively and when I have been on depression medication I found my ability to do those activities very impaired. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter, if you have seen anything of that sort.

    Cheers, and hugs!

    ReplyDelete