Sunday, April 3, 2011

Why Do We Keep Falling in the Hole?






Chapter 1


I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in
I am lost
I am helpless
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.






Chapter 2.

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in this same place. 
But it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3. 

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in... it's a habit.
But, my eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.





Chapter 4. 
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.      



Chapter 5. 
I walk down another street. 


Does this apply to anything in your life?  I can always find something that I am avoiding or not dealing well with and find this poem to be such a great reminder of our own control of our life. I will write someone's analysis of this poem, along with my own analysis. What is yours?

  Tim









10 comments:

  1. Old story ..but a cool one.. needs to be rewritten....As always...XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bongo,
    I couldn't edit in draft form so posted, then edited. I am still laughing. LY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my short the short and sweet of this for me is the "it's not my fault" Part of this little ditty. Anyone can fall down, and it truly be not their fault, but I think this writing expresses patterned thoughts and behavior that is made possible my not claiming power over the situation, and in fact giving over the power of control over the circumstance to helplessness/ victim mentality. In the end, it resolves nicely by showing that when the person realizes it is their fault not only to they regain their power, but they also learn to avoid the problem all together. Much like an old alcoholics motto I once heard, "If I don't want to slip on a rock, I don't go to slippery places"

    Lovely, as always, Tim! <3 I see you are on Facebook...would love to have you as a friend if you'd like! Cheers Darling!*muah*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant the story needs to be re written...The old story....it reminds me of the "GET OVER IT" mentality.....but I ain't goin there...you have known me way too long to not think it wouldn't ruffle my feathers....As always...XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. BB I don't think it is a "get over it" story...get over it stories include "and then the magic happened" kind of crap. This is a story about someone taking power back, and learning by falling, and crawling out of the hole with hard work, then it become easier. The only magic that happened was the person's hard work to change their life. It is what you are doing now...you are working hard in various ways to pull yourself up, learn the lessons, use the words...

    But...that is just this crazy old Widow's point of view, we shall see what Tim, rational nemisis (that's his hero name) has to say about it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwwwwwwwwwww Lisa....somehow you always make things look better... like getting a big warm hug....how do you do that???????? Thank you...<3<3<3...As always...XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa,
    It would make my day if you were my FB friend! Please do. Thanks for making Bongo feel better.
    LY, T
    Bongo,
    I am a bit surprised at how you feel about the "Hole Poem". I didn't think anyone would see that as a "get over it" story. But I am enlightened daily. Git your feathers unruffled and save that for something worth it. LY, your rational nemesis.... hee hee
    Goat,
    Thanks!
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great analogy! I know plenty of people that keep falling in the hole and still think it is not their fault! Eventually maybe, they will see...eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary,
    I just noticed your comment here. Yes, I know plenty of people who hang around in that hole. I sometimes teeter on the edge myself when my mind feels like entertaining old habits.
    Thanks for dropping by,
    Tim :-)

    ReplyDelete