Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Why Don't People Change?

I want happiness. I want everyone to have happiness. I know everyone can have happiness. I have seen people in the worst situations feel and express happiness. But what is it? Is it a feeling, a state of being, a personality type or some altered state?

I guess it is an altered state if it is not your usual state. When a person becomes really depressed, their brain chemicals alter and the depressed state becomes normal for them. Humans seek homeostasis or what we are used to. It’s one of the reasons we choose an abusive partner after watching domestic violence between our parents. But… that is our normal and we choose abusive partners because we learned to choose this by watching our parents in addition to seeking what we are used to. 

I have worked with so many depressed people who get anxious when things get “good”. They simply aren’t used to it. I work in helping them “put up with happiness” until it starts to become their new normal.  Ever wonder why people return to old dysfunctional behaviors?  That’s why. It’s much more comfortable.  It’s easier. New is always more difficult because it leaves you uneasy from being different.

  
There is a Stress Measurement Test in which you are allocated a number value for stressful events in your life. You total them to see how stressed you are. Now remember, it measures STRESS. It includes things like death of a loved one and loss of a job. However, it also includes the following: Christmas, marital reconciliation, buying a new home, vacation and outstanding personal achievement!  Why would something that most would think makes one happy be considered stressful?  Because we are not used to it. It is not our norm.


Therefore, if you are not very happy, you are going to feel some discomfort in being happy. But if you stick with it, you will be glad you did. Being depressed and sad becomes a way of life for some people. It’s how they relate to the world. Hello, my name is John and I am depressed. So what to do about it all?
It’s simple but not easy, I say that a lot. We will be the way we choose to be. We will be what we tell ourselves we will be. Clients say they don’t know why they are sad. They don’t know why they can’t find a job. They don’t know why they don’t have friends. I am thinking of a client in particular who likes to rent sad movies, play depressing music and isolate. Why would anyone begin to feel happy in that situation?  If you were to stroll through a cemetery on a stormy night or along a path on a sunny day would you feel the same way?  No.  Think about why. There are plenty of studies that show that the colors of walls, music and weather can affect a person’s mood and their behaviors. So changing the things that make us feel sad will help us feel better.

Not everyone wants to feel better because the payoff for feeling poorly is more than what it would be to change.  If someone told you that you had to leave very important parts of you behind in order to go on a nice journey, it would leave you to pause, at the very least. 

I use the therapy method seen in the following video to assist me when I need to put things in perspective and move forward. I hope you find it useful also.


It's simple but not easy.

If my love helps, I am more than happy to give you some, I have plenty.
Tim

12 comments:

  1. too bad it's not that easy.. but I have always loved that video LOL..As always..XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiness for some, may be when walking through a cemetery in the rain. As with anything, no one can say my happiness should be yours. I do agree it is easier to dwell in the dark than open a window or seek the door.

    Nice post btw.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Tim! If everyone's happiness was the same and everyone's sadness was the same, it would be easier to help one another. Unfortunately, it is not. As Alejandro said, my happiness may not be yours.
    That old saying 'Misery loves company' comes to mind when I think about this particular topic and seems to be so true. It is very difficult for a person that is saddened to bring themselves out of their dark place, especially if they don't have positive people around them.
    Also, it's important to note that there is a difference between 'being depressed' and having 'depression'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are unique individuals having distinct and unique qualities..... I don't think that we could possibly force a person to change when his heart is not into it.... The happiness of one may not be the happiness of another.... Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when I was about 15 years old, it was spring time, I went outside and sat in the sun. It was the first time I had felt "good" in a very long time and it was the strangest feeling for me. Almost ten years later I feel that way all the time, and it's weird when I feel down. It's a crazy thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Justin,
    I am glad you have become used to feeling good and that feeling down is not your usual. It's a pretty well known fact that the sun can elevate a person's mood. Vitamin D tends to elevate the mood. We get vitamin D from the sun. It's no mistake that horror movies and depressing movies are not usually set on a bright sunny day. TY, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great post...this is the first time I stopped by at your blog...I'm going to come back often! Great info and I loved your reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jorie,
    No one knows better than I that none of us can make someone else change. Also, I know what makes one person happy is now what makes another happy. I was writing about why people don't change. I know what you mean though. TY, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary,
    It is so true, isn't it, misery loves company. As far as the distinction between being depressed and having depression. All people with depression are depressed. Not all people who are depressed are diagnosed with having depression. It all has to do with how long the symptoms last. TY, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happiness varies with people. Happiness is from within. Happiness belongs to me and only I can create it. You or others may add to my happiness but ultimately it is mine to own and create.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I told you I was going to post you on my wall, I don't know if everyone commenting came from me, but welcome to the blog-o-sphere! lol

    Good heavens, Tim, you threw down an excellent blog post here. I agree with you on so many points and so many levels I really don't know where to begin.

    Our thoughts become our actions, our actions become our character, and our character becomes our "destiny". Self-fulfilling prophecies of doom, if we allow it to be. That's the trick though, we allow it.

    The first PTSD flash back I had of my father's death, I remember thinking "Oh hell, this is not going to be my new normal, I won't allow it to be." But then, I've also dealt with depression and anxiety since I was a very young woman, and done so without meds. Over powering the chemical nature of our brains through an act of will isn't easy, it is indeed easier to submit, but there is no pay off worth sacrificing a full and abundant life (at least the potential of one) for in my mind. Perhaps teaching that lesson is a good beginning, teaching people to understand that the tool for "It is what it is" is that it truly is what it is until we make the choice to make it something different. Some circumstances won't change, but our reactions to them, those can. As Savira above me said, Happiness, is mine to create. It takes no talent at all to tear down or destroy, but power, true power, is in the hands of those who can create and build.

    *HUGS, LOVE, and Blessings!*

    ReplyDelete