Monday, November 22, 2010

Judgementalism

I've been too judgmental. I want to not be that way. Nothing makes me any more worthy than anyone else. The lines are blurred between enabling, judging negatively and positive regard. I've always believed in the Golden Rule and yet I violate it in my mind. Sometimes I forget the cause and effect of behavior. I'm glad I am thinking about this, now THAT makes me feel better. 

I realize what a lot of negativity there is in the world and all around us, and how easy it is to become part of that negativity and to be sucked into it and become part of the chaos and confusion if one isn't very careful. 
--Eileen Caddy

Rebecca, thanks for the quote..

2 comments:

  1. 12/01/10 I have actually been less judgemental since posting the above. I work with people who are not in a good place in their lives. Many judge them harshly. I was them, therefore, I still am them. How dare I judge? I learned in some psych class that people usually see their own perceived character defects in others and will be the first to point them out. So if you are finding fault with others, look in a mirror. You probably possess those "faults" yourself and it feels better to point them out in others. It detracts from your own perceived faults. I have found this to be true in my travels.
    Why do I use the term perceived so much? (I know you are dying to know.) I use perceived because I don't find character defects or faults in people. I see them having made or making poor choices but there are reasons for that. People are not bad, their behavior may not be great but people are not their behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever spoken to a person who was openly judgmental (had no problem saying it loudly) and saw that what they were judging they were. I think, things we hate/judge we become on some level. Measuring others with the stick of our own life takes a lot of energy, and effort. I'll stop myself here, so I don't ramble, but I will add that I adore this post, and the last line of your comment. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete